The onboarding of a new hire significantly impacts both the employer and the new employee. The employer’s investment in each new hire starts on day one. The time it takes to ensure the new hire is proficient in his or her role directly effects the employer’s return on their investment. For the new hire, the first few months are often filled with the stress of learning a new job. The level and quality of training and support provided to the new hire during those initial weeks is critical to determining the long-term success of both the employer organization and the employee.
The claims division of a large financial services company was challenged with the business need to provide new hire training for cancer claims adjusters and reduce the current time to achieve proficiency in the role. Historically, the training was delivered via instructor-led courses and on-the-job. The time to proficiency was 10 months – a considerable length of time.
The company engaged Briljent to redesign and develop a new hire curriculum for their cancer claims adjusters. The following were the project goals:
- Reduce the training period
- Ensure best practice in instructional design and training delivery
- Ensure learning is designed to build the right competencies to support performance in the job role
- Make the curriculum more self-paced and less dependent on instructors; move ownership to the learner
- Build regular assessments into the program that tie to performance goals
Briljent redesigned the curriculum to include a flipped classroom approach with a mix of the following:
- Self-paced learning (e.g., computer-based training modules, tutorials, self-paced workbook activities, and assessments)
- Just-in-time performance support (e.g., job aids and user manuals)
- Classroom training
The revised training program for cancer claims adjusters was an overwhelming success! The project goals were not only met, they were exceeded. The client was pleased with the results as were their employees:
- Briljent reduced the new hire training period from 10 months to 13 weeks (a 70% reduction).
- Briljent also ensured that milestone assessment scores and key performance indicators (KPIs) at strategic points in the curriculum were consistently measured, tracked, and achieved by the learners.
- Pre- and post-training surveys showed a 50% increase in employee satisfaction.
The client further leveraged the training solution Briljent designed and developed for the cancer claims adjustors. By making some modifications, the client is using similar training programs for other roles within their organization.
Contact Briljent to learn how we can partner with you to successfully reduce new hire time to proficiency and increase employee satisfaction.
Contact us to learn more about our capabilities and other success stories.